The UK Government is hosting “COP26” – the UN global climate summit – in Glasgow this November. This summit is where world leaders will come together to decide our future. The global climate emergency is here and now, already exacerbating natural disasters and human inequalities and will shape the coming years. We urgently need action that reduces carbon emissions while protecting and creating good, green jobs and a more equal society. Yet despite the global trade union movement ensuring that previous COP summits have agreed to call for a “just transition” (i.e. one that protects workers and our communities) our government is not doing nearly enough.
That is why many unions are supporting the call from the COP26 Coalition for trade unions and workers to join the global day of action for climate justice on Saturday November 6th. Because of Covid, the coalition is promoting regional demonstrations rather than everyone going to Glasgow. The coalition has designated Manchester as the main demonstration for the northwest of England. The Trade Union Caucus within the COP26 Coalition is working with unions and trades councils across the country to ensure there are big, united and powerful “Trade Union & Workers Blocs” (i.e. sections) on each demonstration.
Youth strikers are taking action on Friday 5th November and we are encouraging workers and unions to take whatever action they can in solidarity, whether that is action or discussion at workplaces or joining the youth strikers from noon in St Peter’s Square.
On Saturday 6th November the union/worker bloc will meet at 11:30am in Piccadilly Gardens before joining the main demonstration at noon in St Peter’s Square.
To build for the day of action on Saturday 6th November you can:
- Promote the main demo Facebook event
- Promote the union/worker bloc by signing up, using the poster/leaflet, pledge sheet, model motion and Facebook event
- Contact us for hard copies of the poster/leaflet
- Bring people, banners, flags etc
- Arrange transport from elsewhere in the region
- Contribute towards the costs of the demonstration, which include staging and PA system, signer, publicity etc. (the bank account being used by the COP26 Coalition’s Manchester hub for arranging the demonstration is: Co-operative Bank, sort code: 089299, Account number: 65195426, Account name: Greater Manchester Campaign against Climate Change). Financial appeal letter.
- Get involved in your local COP26 Coalition hub, or set one up
- Sign up to support the COP26 Coalition trade union caucus
- Use the resource pack to produce your own materials
This is likely to be the biggest trade union climate mobilisation to date, putting our unions and workers at the heart of the fight for climate justice. Spread the word!